Wednesday 16 October 2013

Memory Palace #1

Looking back on our trip to the V&A Museum and the memory palace exhibition we looked into what a memory palace actually was. A memory palace is a familiar place where you choose to store a certain memory that you would like to remember through the use of the familiar place.


 We then had to think about what place will be my memory palace. I chose to recreate my bedroom as my memory palace because I spend a lot of time in it and it holds everything that represents me. I have had this same room for nearly 10 years, so it is a place I know very well and it's very unlikely for me to ever forget it. We are going to recreate our chosen place for our memory palace with only using cardboard and sellotape. We also had to choose a piece of text - whether it be from a book or a song or a poem - that we plan on memorising through signals we put around the room that trigger a specific word.

I have taken a quote from my favourite book, Looking for Alaska.
"I'm not going to be one of those people who sits around talking about what they're gonna do. I'm just going to do it."




This series of photos are developing stages of my memory palace.
 As you can see, it is not yet and my quote is only on the wall of the palace. I think this piece of work would have been much more successful if I had taken more time in creating the pieces to make it more accurate and displayed my quote through objects in the room. 

No comments:

Post a Comment